This NPR podcast was produced pre pandemic but with so much scary news around right now it has universal advice for talking about scary times.
The examples may not be applicable to your family but the advice is universal.
1. We can’t control the amount of information out there but we can control the exposure, particularly with young children.
2. Ask them what they know and give them space to reflect so you can correct misconceptions.
3. Give them facts and context. Don’t overload with information.
4. When they ask why bad things happen it is Ok to say you don’t know. Look for the good. You will always find people who are helping.
5. Help kids process what is going on by telling their own version of the story through art, play, video and stories.
6. Don’t just look for the helpers, be the helpers
Link to the episode: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/life-kit-parenting/id1454009140?i=1000504578012